to seek His Kingdom first

join me in my adventure in New York Youth With a Mission Cornerstone!!!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

on the sidewalk - there is hope

most of my  morning today was spent on the sidewalk of East Village in front of Tompkins Square park.
thinking about all that has happened last week in Newtown (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/18/newtown-schools-back-in-s_n_2322597.html) and other tragic events in the past I want to share this:

So, Sarah from Street Life Ministries (http://www.streetlife.org/) and I were sitting on the pavement listening to a friend of ours - about her struggles being a homeless, like multiple health issues, and some of her hopes and dreams for the future - like creating music =)

close to us, a man was sitting, I think he is a regular (resident) of the park, but I have not seen him before. He asked for socks and a list of organizations that would help him find a place to call home. He is not good at walking - so I brought him all the things to where he was sitting.

I wanted to sit down and talk with him and so I did. I asked how he's doing and his initial response was 'I want to kill someone' (he had a specific person in mind). Plus he told me that he has spent 15 years in prison for committing murder when he was just a teenager.  So we talked about why he is angry and frustrated and about forgiveness. There was a funny moment when a piece of bagel flew at me while praying for my new friend - the bagel was thrown at me by another homeless guy sitting close by.  There is great value and joy and privilege to sit down on the wet pavement and listen and pray - a ripple effect - that may save someone's life.

Please keep him in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment